Tuesday 20 March 2012

Have your cake and transit too

Om-nom-nom. One unfortunate McDonald's patron
is covertly photographed for the whole world to see.
Toronto Standard photo
Earlier this month, the online magazine Toronto Standard interviewed the founder of the Toronto Etiquette Project.

The guerilla group acts as a manner police,  issuing printed chits to classically rude Torontonians for infractions like eating on the subway and being loud on the phone.

My favourite quote:
I can’t think of any bizarre foods that I’ve seen, but I’ve heard of nail clipping, I’ve heard of flossing…
Oh dear.

They're not the only group to issue a list of somewhat obvious tenants for a more polite transit experience.

The Standard post mentioned cities that issue fines or kick people off the system for eating. Some argue that it's part of being clean and avoiding unpleasant odours, while others feel it's a human right. While I'm too self-conscious to eat on the TTC, I think it should be allowed for non-sloppy, non-stinky food. Commuters spend an awful amount of dead time on a subway system that is still has no mobile reception.

Yesterday, the blog posted an update, complete with a video and footage of some unfortunate schmoes eating their lunch.

What are your thoughts on dining on the Rocket?

No comments:

Post a Comment